My health coaching practice is focused on women….women who are in need of a health overhaul…women who have been following diets that aren’t working. Last year, though, I had the opportunity to help someone with fertility, too. ((You can read Casey’s story HERE.)) This was life-changing for me. Seriously. When she called me to tell me that she was expecting – I was so freaking excited for her. It also showed me first-hand that a natural approach could be a solution for women beyond the fertility drugs and ritual of the doctor’s office. That is so powerful because it puts YOU in control.
Looking to get pregnant in the near future or just want to get your crazy hormones under control? Here are some things to keep in mind:
1) If you’ve been on the birth control pill – you may need some time to get your hormones back on track. How long? It really all depends – could be a month, could be several months or could be a year. I'd love to see ALL women drop the pill, but I know that isn't realistic. If you don't need it - it's best that you stay off of it.
2) Do you have any symptoms that come along with your cycle? Super-heavy bleeding; light bleeding; non-existent period; painful cramps; migraines; acne; stress; weight gain – all of these things are worth noting. Pay attention! These signs signal a hormonal imbalance. Whatever the imbalance is – we need to try to get it closer to balance.
3) There are 8 main hormone imbalances:
4) Eat your greens – they are high in minerals, fiber and vitamins. Vitamins that help your lady parts and hormones and the fiber encourages waste elimination – and with it – excess hormones if you have an overabundance of one.
5) Low fat is no longer cool. Fat = a building block for hormone production. Healthy fats like avocado and coconut oil are imperative to hormone balance and fertility. ((Just look at the avocado at the top of this page. It looks like a womb and the pit, a baby. Could there be a more perfect food?!))
6) Realize that you can only get pregnant – like – 4 days a month! Seriously. PAY ATTENTION TO YOUR CYCLE AND THE SIGNS OF OVULATION. Take your basal temperature every morning and chart it. Buy a basal thermometer from the drug store or Amazon and track your temp each morning in an app like Kindara. Kindara will help you see patterns in your temp charting so you can see when you are about to ovulate. There are other things you can look for as well like increased cervical fluid.
7) STRESS is no bueno. ^^^ those imbalances I mentioned above ^^^ yeah, stress causes them, too! Take care of you, girl.
With each person, there are going to be specific scenarios that need to be looked at and there are obviously a LOT of other areas we can focus on – but at the minimum, keeping this in mind will help you take more control over the process. Want to learn more or get your periods and fertility back on track? Contact me for a consult!