Have a little too much pumpkin pie last week? Worried about Christmas cookies and lots of big holiday meals? Follow these tips:
1. Relax. You are not alone, and you are not expected to be a saint during this time.
2. Indulge only where it really matters to you (for me - that means mashed potatoes and gravy, pumpkin pie, and my mom's sugar cookies) & try to have some restraint elsewhere. Since I know these are my big ticket items - I pare down the other stuff.
3. No matter what you eat - start your day and your meal with greens and veggies. Try to keep breakfast and lunch as pure as possible - drink your greens, eat your fruit and whole grains. Start your meals with a salad, and always fill your plate with tons of veggies.
4. When in doubt - take a digestive enzyme. To ease digestion - greens and veggies are your best bet because they are packed with their own enzymes to help you digest food, but it doesn't hurt to supplement with extra if you are unable to down a bunch of greens or have plans to pig out.
5. Make some substitutions where you can. Try making your own version of sugar cookies with gluten or dairy cut out, or less sugar. Substitute milk in your mashed potatoes for vegetable broth. Make every item from scratch in lieu of using packaged and processed ingredients.
6. Get back on track. After you've had your fill - start the next day with hot lemon water and lots of green juice.